Sunday 29 August 2010

Reasons to be Single

Human Remains


Somehow I missed this when it was first aired 10 years ago but today, flicking through BT Vision, I came across this excellent dark comedy written by Rob Brydon and Julia Davis. (Note an early young 'Nessa')



Although a very black comedy the series is well made and funny and showcases Brydons and Davis' huge talent and versatility.

My friend Wiki says:

Human Remains (2000) was a BBC television comedy series consisting of six episodes written by and starring Rob Brydon (from Marion and Geoff) and Julia Davis (who later found fame in Nighty Night).

Each edition documented the relationship of a different couple, all of whom were played by Brydon and Davis and all but two of whom were extremely unhappy, in the style of a fly on the wall documentary. The series ran to critical acclaim.

A black comedy, much of the show’s humour derived from very bleak ideas and situations. Domestic violence, chronic depression and death all feature prominently throughout the six episodes. Julia Davis later used some of these themes in her solo project, Nighty Night.


The 'two couples' that weren't unhappy were, I would say, a touch mad - so all in all the series is not one that promotes marriage. Or relationships. Or love. Human Remains is a hilarious concoction of despair, madness, perversion and I suppose - hope. Bryson and Davis are great character actors and their timing is spot on.

The theme music 'Don't Want to Know' by John Martyn is a haunting sound.

And I don't want to know about evil
Only want to know about love
I don't want to know about evil
Only want to know about love.



I love stumbling on wonderful new things to watch and marvel at and being introduced to musical talent that has somehow passed me by, although I have heard many cover versions of Martyn's 'May You Never' including this Clapton cover:

You're just like a great strong brother of mine
And you know that I love you true
And you never talk dirty behind my back
And I know that there's those that do.




Wonderful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.