Sunday 21 February 2010

Fowey...pronounced to rhyme with 'Joy - 'Destination of the Year'


Having spent many holidays in Cornwall I thought I was familiar with its many gems so I was delighted to be introduced to Fowey, a place I have never visited before. It reminded me of Dartmouth but on a much smaller, more intimate scale. Like Dartmouth it has two small towns that cling to the rock face on either side of the river that flows into a wide harbour and a ferry that chugs between the two places delivering people and their cars to work and to school, or to visit friends and family. Like Dartmouth it has a fort/castle protecting the harbour entrance and a gorgeous array of quaint shops. It must be a nightmare in the summer with crowds of holidaymakers but in the middle of February it was delightful. The sun shone, skies were blue and it was almost warm.
One of my oldest friends has a stepsister who is fortunate enough to live in Fowey. This Fowey resident was 'Headteacher of the Year 2009' and is Head of a school 15 miles from Fowey. Now I hate this sort of crap. I had my hair cut last month by the 'Hairdresser of the Year 2009' and was disappointed much preferring the excellent cut I had in Malishi Hair Design, Snowfields, a wonderful Japanese hairdressers that give the best head massages and precision cuts to be found in London. Well, in South London. You expect so much more from a 'of the Yearer' and will inevitably be disappointed. John Terry for instance was recently 'Father of the Year'. Does being a crap husband automatically mean you will be a crap father? No, of course it doesn't....but he is a bit of a wanker and since when have bit of wankers picked up any 'of the yearer' awards other than 'Wanker of the Year' which he would have deserved. Katie Price, AKA Jordan, is in the running for 'Mother of the Year'. Katie is reported to want her daughter Princess Tiaamii to be a Page 3 girl. Not Dr Princess Tiaamii but 'Princess Tiaammii from Brighton aged 17 showing us her jewels'. Surey Mrs Reid, nee Andre, nee Price is a better nominee for 'Bride of Frankenstein...whoops, I mean Of the Year'. She does getting married so well. Or at least OK magazine think so. The best judge of 'Parent of the Year' has to be the children and I doubt if they are consulted and all kids think they have the best parents, even those who have crap ones. Harriet Harman was recently nominated for 'Rear of the Year'. This must present her with a bit of a dilemma. As woman in her late 50s she must be thrilled but as Minister for Women and a staunch feminist she must be appalled. What is more shocking is that it has only taken 12....yes, 12, nominations for her to be in the running. MPs will stoop at anything to take peoples mind of the expenses scandal! I would nominate Harriet for 'Feminist of the Year' if such a 'of the year' existed and I could motivate myself to be bothered. Oddly 'Feminist of the Year' doesn't seem to exist. There is 'Loo of the Year' (I nominate the Wetherspoons in Mare Street), 'Austrailian of the Year' (Hugh Jackman is my man) and yes...there is a 'Blogger of the Year'. I have decided to refuse any 'of the Yearer' that is offered to me. On principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.