Thursday 15 July 2010

Top Ten Women

Janis Joplin

I was introduced to Janis relatively late in life and she has superseded every woman I have admired in terms of my admiration of raw talent, passion and presence. It has been hard to chose a definitive song from each of my top ten women but my favourite Joplin song remains the first I heard -

Turtle Blues



I guess I'm just like a turtle
That's hidin' underneath it's horny shell.
Whoa, whoa, oh yeah, like a turtle
Hidin' underneath it's horny shell.
But you know I'm very well protected -
I know this goddamn life too well.


Pink

Pink is another raw talent. She writes wonderful lyrics, composes great music and is able to perform her songs with energy, power and humour. Her lyrics are heavily influenced by what is happening in her life and 'Eventually' is sung gently but carries with it her force of personality -


Eventually




I drank your poison cuz you told me its wine
Shame on you if you fool once
Shame on me if you fool me twice
I didn't know the price
You'll get yours eventually


Billie Holliday

There are so many great songs to chose from but for me this is Billie at her best. Her voice rests beautifully on the piano notes that unobtrusively tinkle in the background and the final heartfelt question at the end finishes the song perfectly.

Lover Man



I don't know why but I'm feeling so sad
I long to try something I never had
Never had no kissin'
Oh, what I've been missin'
Lover man, oh, where can you be?



Alicia Keys


Alicia is a very beautiful and very talented young woman. The first I first heard of her was when 'A Woman's Worth' came on the radio back in 2002 and I bought her CD 'Songs in A Minor' for that particular song so it was a pleasant surprise to find that all the tracks were good but this one, with it's extended intro that reminds me of Stevie Wonder, and for some bizarre reason, Shaft, blew me away -

Rock Wit You



I'll stay and walk this life wit you
No matter what we may go through
Dead broke, no job, no house, no ride
I'm goin' stay right by your side


Anastasia

Another pocket sized power house of talent. When I first heard her sing I imagined her to be a big black woman and was surprised to see a tiny blonde who has a voice that has the power of a Formula One racing car. This song is an example of her incredible range and power -

Left Outside Alone



Left broken empty in despair
Wanna breath can't find air
Thought you were sent from up above
But you and me never had love
So much more I have to say
Help me find a way

And I wonder if you know
How it really feels
To be left outside alone
When it cold out here
Well maybe you should know
Just how it feels
To be left outside alone
To be left outside alone


Dusty Springfield

Dusty, known as the 'White Lady of Soul' had many hits in the 60s and a couple in the 70s in collaboration with the 'Pet Shop Boys'. This is Dusty at her best -


You Don't Have to say I Love You




When I said "I needed you",
you said you would always stay.
It wasn't me who changed, but you,
and now you've gone away.
Don't you see that now you've gone,
and I'm left here on my own,
then I have to follow you,
and beg you to come home.
You don't have to say you love me,
just be close at hand.



Tina Turner

Well, whatda you know? Another power house of raw talent. Watched a DVD of her in concert the other day and fell in love (again) with this amazing woman. The voice, the energy, the moves and I just LOVE this song -

Nutbush City Limits



Church-house, gin-house
School-house, out-house
On highway number nineteen
The people keep the city clean

They call it Nutbush
Oh, Nutbush
Call it Nutbush city limits

Twenty-five was the speed limit
A motorcycle not allowed in it
You go to school on Fridays
To go to church on Sundays


The Jennifers

Two for the price of one. The two Jennifers, Hudson and Holliday. Both awesome and breathtakingly good singing talents and this song, taken from the musical 'Dreamgirls' is the perfect showcase for their talents, both in singing and acting. If your only experience of this song is in X Factor auditions watch this and be amazed. Both women are brilliant but Hudson gets my vote.



And I am tellin' you I'm not goin'
You're the best man I've ever known
There's no way I can ever go
No, no, there's no way
No, no, no, no way
I'm livin' without you


Madge

Impossible to have a female top ten and not to include the incredible Madonna and, although on the whole I like her stuff, there is only one song from her extensive catalogue that does 'it' for me on more than the 'sing along' level.

Like A Prayer




Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like home


Missing from this list is, of course, Bowie. I did consider including Lulus version of 'The Man Who Sold The World' but if I was going to include the little Scottish lass it would have been for 'To Sir With Love'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.