Sunday 24 June 2012

Beauty and the Olympics

The sun stayed out long enough today for my friend and I to enjoy an afternoon in Greenwich Park drinking Earl Grey tea and strolling among the tall mauve lupins. My friend noticed my newly (professionally painted) toenails and commented on how pretty they were. We spend a long time saying goodbye (mainly because we couldn't decide on whose car to take on our next outing) and trying to decide what to do the next time we met up. The trouble is London is an amazing city filled with an infinite number of interesting places to visit. It is also close to counties like Kent and Essex, and of course, the sea. We finally decided to visit Dungeness, both admiring of the industrial emptiness of the place. 'I thought you would like to visit somewhere prettier and picturesque'. said my friend.

Dungeness has its own beauty. Places by the sea do not have to look like St Ives or Lulworth Cove. Just as architecture does not have to be handsome Georgian houses or iconic buildings like the 'Shard' to be beautiful. Or women tall, blonde and size zero. Or men who look like George Clooney or David Beckham. I am always struck by the beauty of Battersea Power Station and the Nuclear Power Stations of Dungeness stir the same admiration in me.

My friend nodded. 'Me too. But make sure you wear some open-toed sandals so that I can admire your toenails if all the industrial beauty gets too much for me.'

http://www.dungeness-nnr.co.uk/

A more conventional beauty spot is Greenwich Park, sadly scarred at the moment by the preparations for the Olympics.

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/greenwich-park

As the games get nearer I am trying to stir up some enthusiasm even going as far to enter a ballot to be allowed to buy tickets that have been allocated to Greenwich residents. But in all honesty I am not waiting for the opening ceremony with baited breath. I resent not being able to drive through the park each day and so missing the opportunity to witness the small changes that nature makes over the weeks to the flowers and the trees. I resent the heavy traffic I now have to sit in every morning. I resent the nightmare it is going to cause me on my journey to work this summer. I resent the blot on Blackhealth that the work has resulted in. I resent having to apply for parking permits in order to park at my home for the duration of the games. No doubt once they start I will be able to enjoy some of the hype and the sychronised swimming. Oh and the gymnastics with the ribbons always gets me going. There are some benefits I will enjoy. Take the new river crossing....flying over the Thames in 'gondolas'! I can't wait to try this out.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/06/19/sky-high-club-emirates-air-line-opening-date-announced/

And I will be in Woolwich town square with my grandson to see the Olympic flame pass through. Well why not? If you can't beat em blah blah blah.

 http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200131/greenwich_2012_community/1170/olympic_torch_relay_through_royal_greenwich





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.