Friday 16 April 2010

'Words are the Voice of the heart' Confucius



Blogging, as described by Wikipedia: A blog (a contraction of the term "web log" is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability of readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art (Art blog), photographs (photoblog), videos (Video blogging), music (MP3 blog), and audio (podcasting). Microblogging is another type of blogging, featuring very short posts.

Recent statistics are as follows:

Blogosphere stats

133,000,000 – number of blogs indexed by Technorati since 2002

346,000,000 – number of people globally who read blogs (comScore March 2008)

900,000 – average number of blog posts in a 24 hour period

1,750,000 – number of RSS subscribers to TechCrunch, the most popular Technology blog (January 2009)

77% - percentage of active Internet users who read blogs

81 - number of languages represented in the blogosphere

59% – percentage of bloggers who have been blogging for at least 2 years


How wonderful. Millions of people writing. Millions of people using their writing Voice to record events, review, reminisce, and report. Millions of people using their writing Voice to share their thoughts, their hopes and their fears.

Share. This is where a blog differs dramatically from a diary. Most people wouldn't share their diary with their nearest and dearest never mind the 346 million people who might come across their blog! Generally diaries are for the writers eyes only and can only be shared with others after the passage of time. I only have one diary, started in 1977 and written in sporadically until the mid 80s. At the time I would have died of shame if anyone had read it and, indeed, used code for certain people and events. Now I'd be happy for my children or close friends to read it and I'd only be slightly embarrassed by my childish, immature 'unsophisticated' writing Voice. The interactive aspect of a blog is another form of sharing. Strangers are able to add their comments and feedback and links added by the writer guiding readers to another level of information is something that give blogs an additional layer of substance.

Blogging is a wonderful medium for people to find, and develop their voice. A Blogger can choose to write under their own name or they can choose to write anonymously. It doesn't even matter if it is never read by anyone else. We all have a Voice that should be heard, even if it is only by ourselves. Because sometimes our Voice will tell us something about ourselves that we never knew. Although this is a public blog I still feel the need to self censor, mainly because one day I want it to be read by my friends and family and there are always things you don't want friends and family to know! It is also important to remain anonymous to the 346 million people, one of whom may one day think 'hmmm, a Rat Diary? Whats this about?' and, from some detail I have let slip, hunt me down and, because they disagreed with something I have said... oh, I don't know...do me in. And I self censor because I am unsure if my Voice has any worth.


This is what I think
This is what I want to say
This is how I feel
This is what I want to tell you
When I find my Voice
Katie Clapton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.