Sunday 11 April 2010

‘Meditation – its not what you think’


Nice article by Tanya Gold writing, this week, in the Guardian;

Can meditation stop me getting angry?
New evidence suggests that meditation helps anxiety and depression. But what about serial bad temper?


For some reason Ms Gold articles appear to make a lot of Guardian readers angry. I note that she, more than any other writer for the paper, gets lots of criticism for the style of her writing. Sometimes the content in critiqued but it is more often how she writes rather than what she writes that gets Guardian readers backs up. Here’s an example, from ‘rettop’ of what I mean -

When writing about the 'news' we excpect (sic )The Guardian to have some sense of inteligence (sic) and depth.

When writing about our investigation into the nature of reality they seem to be stuck with this kind of ironic chick lit garbage..

grow up Guardian it's getting kinda boring


If I could write articles I would imagine my articles would be in a similar style to Ms Gold. She introduces her subject with a bit of humour, provides some facts and statistics , gives a bit of background, then relates her personal experience. If I was going to write about my first serious attempt to learn how to meditate my ‘article’ would have taken the same form.

Unlike Ms Gold I did not turn to meditation in order to help me control my temper. I have never been troubled by my temper. I lose it very rarely and never over something trivial. In fact I am blessed with a temper verging on the tranquil. Nor was I anxious or depressed. I was just lost.

The Buddhist Centre I visited teaches two fundamental meditation practices - the Mindfulness of Breathing and the Metta Bhavana, the Development of Loving Kindness.

Mindfulness of Breathing:
As its name implies, the 'Mindfulness of Breathing' uses the breath as an object of concentration. By focusing on the breath one becomes aware of the mind's tendency to jump from one thing to another. The simple discipline of concentration brings one back to the present moment and all the richness of experience that it contains. It is a way to develop mindfulness, the faculty of alert and sensitive awareness. And it is an excellent method for cultivating the states of intense meditative absorption known as dhyana. As well as this, the mindfulness of breathing is a good antidote to restlessness and anxiety, and a good way to relax: concentration on the breath has a positive effect on one's entire physical and mental state.

Metta Bhavana, the Development of Loving Kindness.
The original name of this practice is metta bhavana, which comes from the Pali language. Metta means ‘love’ (in a non-romantic sense), friendliness, or kindness: hence ‘loving-kindness’ for short. It is an emotion, something you feel in your heart. Bhavana means development or cultivation.


Ms Gold –‘So I walk in late, to a cream basement room with a small shrine. Buddha is there. For some reason, he reminds me of a very small football fan. The scene is like a Sunday afternoon at my late grandmother's. A group of women and a man with a beard are comatose and covered in blue blankets on the floor. Only the EastEnders omnibus is missing.’

Me – I made sure I was early. I found somewhere to park and was very pleased to find that the street in which the Buddhist Centre is situated was home to several small businesses that are linked to the centre - including a book shop and a nice little café. After a wander around I made my way to the Centre and as I passed through the gate I was met by the sound of trickling water and there, in a pretty busy part of the city, was a tiny oasis of calm. I was greeted by a friendly face, shown where to leave my shoes and directed into a room carpeted in blue thick pile carpet. I have long suspected I have a carpet fetish and this was carpet heaven. The fashion today is for wooden floors or tiles but I love to sink my feet into beautiful thick carpet and I always want to lean over and stroke it. I remember going round Eltham Palace shortly after it was restored (not into a 'palace' but a very stylish Art Deco house) and feeling rapturous over the 1920s style rug that was in the entrance hall. I pretended I had lost an earring so that I could kneel on it and stoke it without inviting comment. Anyway, moving on, the blue carpet room was full of people. Some chatting, others sitting calmly looking around at the posters on the walls or reading the information outlining coming events. When it was time to go to ‘class’ the teachers came and invited us to the lessons or talks. I went along to the beginners class. The room was spacious and beautiful in its simplicity, Fresh flowers flanked the Buddha which dominated the room. People collected their cushions and made themselves comfortable and I took the opportunity to look round the room at my fellow classmates. There was an equal number of men and women and their ages ranged from early twenties to early sixties.

Ms Gold: 'I continue to meditate and as I do, I can feel the anger waving goodbye. I stay soothed. For example, a friend asks me to a dinner party. I fear dinner parties like I fear Nazis. But I go, and I am polite, even when someone asks me if I have cystitis. (I do not.) Meditation is effective, I fear. I am in danger of turning into a rug. I am in danger of being happy.'

Me: I try to go to the Buddhist Centre when I can, which is not as often as I would like. But I have got into a routine at home and relish the time spend in meditation. I try to alternate between Mindfulness and Loving Kindness. When I first started to practice meditation I was more comfortable with Mindfulness because it is much easier to concentrate on your breathing than it is to complete Loving Kindness. Wishing your enemies well in stage 4 'Then think of someone you actually dislike - traditionally an enemy. Trying not to get caught up in any feelings of hatred, you think of them positively and send your metta to them as well' is extremely difficult and wishing your enemy well takes some doing. And I still have a long way to go!


Lotus In The City
The London Buddhist Centre has an excellent website and it is interesting to see the work they are doing within the community. For instance they are, along with Tower Hamlets PCT, offering assisted places to people suffering from depression and there is a very good video that is linked to the website which explains how meditation can help sufferers of depression.

I understand Ms Golds fears about being happy. But I don't think she need worry too much on that score. Meditation isn't about finding happiness. It's about finding, and understanding yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.