Monday 22 November 2010

Maxims

Living by the rules is not always easy. Living by maxims can be even more of a challenge. Take these, favoured by George V:


Teach me to be obedient to the rules of the game.

Teach me to distinguish between sentiment and sentimentality admiring the one and despising the other.

Teach me neither to proffer nor receive cheap praise.

If I am called upon to suffer, let me be like a well bred beast that goes away to suffer in silence.

Teach me to win, if I may; if I may not win, then above all teach me to be a good loser.

Teach me neither to cry for the moon nor over spilt milk.



Some maxims, like these for 'manhood' are a lot easier to adhere to:


Your dog must be larger than a toaster.

Tip well.

Never use the word 'blossom.'

Outperform the GPS.

Always hold the door.

Never use emoticons



Then there are maxims that, if taken note of, will help you get by in this harsh and demanding world:


If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

He who hesitates is probably right.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.

Two wrongs are only the beginning.



Maxims for women:


Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you want everlasting love - surrender.

When you are old you will look at photographs of your younger self and marvel at how hot you were - and how stupid you were not to be able to see it. Enjoy your youth.



Max the maxims for a better life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.