Sunday 9 January 2011

Gentlemen Prefer Brunettes



A trailer came on the TV earlier this evening for the 'The King's Speech' and I said to my son J that I would like to see it.
'Which King is it about then?' he asked.
I explained that 'Bertie', the subject of ' The King's Speech' was not born to be King. His older brother Edward was destined for that role but because of his love for an American divorcee (Mrs Wallace Simpson), whom he was not allowed to marry, he gave up his kingdom for love. His abdication suddenly threw Bertie into the public eye and he became a reluctant monarch, King George VI. All these years on it is hard to understand the shock the nation felt about the abdication of King Edward VIII and I recited the famous line from the his abdication speech:




'I've found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.'

'Wouldn't that have made a better film than one about his brothers stutter?' J asked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouwlU4YE-w



The other day watching something in which Ruth Jones made an appearance (I can't remember what it was) I said to my daughter K that I thought Ruth Jones would made a fabulous Hattie Jacques if a film was ever made of Hattie's life story. Then today I saw a trailer for 'Hattie' starring Ruth Jones. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8685253.stm. Obviously old news but something I had not heard. I love Hattie and I am sure Ms Jones will be excellent in the role. Hattie was quite the femme fatale and had, if you believe what is written about her, a voracious sexual appetite. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1280269/Ooh-Carry-On-Hatties-bedroom.html K had no idea who Hattie Jacques was so my comment was greeted with a 'Hmmm.' and I had to point out Hattie to her a few days later when we came across her in a 'Carry On' film. I have just had to ring K to tell her about my amazing psychic ability and sadly she wasn't that impressed.
'You know one overweight brunette comedy actress playing another overweight brunette comedy actress isn't that big a surprise' K said dismissively.

I think it is. They could have asked Dawn French.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.