Monday 24 January 2011

status update - Rat is making a stand

Still managing to stay away from Facebook even though I am now completely out of the loop and when I meet up with my friends they are all ahead of the game in terms of knowing what is going on with everyone and they feel it is a chore to have to fill me in on everything. I think they are doing it on purpose and, like the following comment on CIF from NoneToo Clever, a few people have been cross with me for escaping FBs clutches and are doing their best to entice me in again. It's like being a member of the Moonies. Once you are in you can never escape. If you try the other Facebookers will use any means available to them you make you relent. They will hunt you down and poke you until you return to their fold.

NoneTooClever:
Great. I 'committed Facebook suicide' a month back - it was the only New Years resolution I actually stuck to.Now I don't have to constantly check in to discover useless crap like how someone I once met briefly 'likes' the fact that someone I never even met 'likes' some band I've never heard of. What's more I've discovered that a couple of my Facebook 'friends' regarded my virtual exit as bad electronic manners. Now, back in the real world, I have more time to spend on CIF.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter
Someone came up to me the other day and asked in a hushed tone of voice if I was OK and if there had been a problem. This person wasn't even on my list of friends and had somehow noticed my FB demise. And it is still bloody annoying to be on a night out with people constantly taking photographs and updating their FB account. It is a desperate attempt to say to everyone 'Look at me! I AM OUT HAVING FUN!'. Shouldn't be allowed.
Facebook etiquette is something users have to get their heads around especially the photo rule: 


Don't tag your friends in unflattering photos. Tagging photos of friends dressed in old 80s fashions and with bad perms can be funny, but tagging a picture of them taken last week with food between their teeth is not so funny. Don't post photos of non FB members. Ever. Unless it is a particularly good one in which they look hot and are dancing with someone who looks suspiciously like Brad Pitt.

Maybe it is because I haven't found my niche in the social networking world that I find it all rather sad and feel quite superior. I am not a yummy mummy who can join MumsNet nor am I comfortable with a site full of young people like FB. I have a Twitter but really can't be asked to Tweet or whatever it is you do on there. If there was a CynicBook I might sign up! At least the status update would be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rat symbolizes such character traits as wit, imagination and curiosity. Rats have keen observation skills and with those skills they’re able to deduce much about other people and other situations. Overall, Rats are full of energy, talkative and charming.